Monday, July 9, 2007

Lovely microformats

Today, I came across the microformats.org page. Not that I haven't heard about these microformats before, but today I decided to have a look at how to implement them. After reading about the hCard format, I implemented it on the user pages of the new perli.net codebase (still to be published). I also added hCard content to my about page. Another microformat I've implemented on the new perli.net codebase is hCalendar. This format lets you integrate calendar data into an event info page. The new perli.net event detail pages will offer hCalendar data, which will let you add these events directly into your calendaring application of choice.

Testing and using microformats is as simple as installing the Operator Add-on for Firefox. You can put it in the lower right corner of your Firefox window (in the status bar) and see it light up when there is microformat content on the webpage you're visiting.

Other microformats I've implemented where I thought it would be useful: rel-tag for links to tag pages and rel-home for links back to the homepage. I personally think that microformats are a GoodThing(tm), and am eager to see these formats gain more widespread use and implementation.

No comments: